Salaam Afghanistan

Health and Ethnic Conflict.

My first visit to the Heart of Asia -- Reflections and Photos.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Mbarara, Uganda

Internist and Pediatrician with a passion for international health.

Thursday, June 24, 2004

Only a week!

I arrived in Kabul about a week ago. Only a week! Feels like so much longer.

Kabul is about what you think it is in a lot of ways -- really poor, lots and lots of obviously bombed out and destroyed buildings and rubble, women gliding around in burqas, men wearing turbans and vests over their shalwar kameez, really dusty, really hot, and a little bit dangerous. But it is not at all what you expect in a lot of other ways. I guess I mean that life here is not so different from life anywhere else. I mean, I get up, "shower", have breakfast, come to work (we have to have a driver because we are prohibited from taking taxis for security reasons), work, have meetings, have lunch (in the separate room for ladies), work some more, go home, maybe go to a "restaurant" or to yoga or salsa dancing, go to bed. Our compounds do have guards posted at the gates, and there usually is barbed wire lining the top of a high wall, but it's not too scary.

I don't wear a chador most of the time, at least not in Kabul. If/when I go to the outskirts into more rural areas, I will have to wear it. I am fully covered otherwise, though -- ankle length pants/skirt, and long sleeve below-the-knee shirts. I am going to the bazaar this weekend to get a shalwar kameez and matching chador so that I look a bit more like folks around here.

I am slowly picking up some Dari (the Persian they speak here). I haven't gotten sick yet (inch'allah, i won't!). I like the food in general although it is super super greasy. I am not over the poverty. I am not used to the pasthun women begging with their children in the street, knocking on the car windows as you try to make your way through the impossible traffic (no traffic rules as far as I can tell -- no lanes, no restrictions on turns, no stop signs -- everyone just fights it out). I hope I don't "get used to it," I hope I don't stop being moved and saddened by their reality and my inability to change it for them. I am also not over the whole I can't go out walking alone thing. So prohibitive! But it is too dangerous for a woman, especially an American woman, to be out in the streets unaccompanied. Ah, well.

Nassim is having a party for her birthday over at her place. I'm going over with Jackson and Cristi.

below is a photo of me and Jackson and Cristi from the party:


I guess that's it. Not too exciting, which I think is good! Hopefully I will never have exciting news to report!

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

ninest123 08.15
kate spade outlet, ray ban sunglasses, true religion jeans, polo ralph lauren outlet, nike air max, nike air max, michael kors, nike free, coach factory outlet, michael kors outlet, gucci outlet, michael kors outlet, tiffany jewelry, michael kors outlet, longchamp outlet, replica watches, michael kors outlet, louboutin shoes, christian louboutin outlet, longchamp outlet, true religion jeans, coach purses, prada outlet, true religion jeans, polo ralph lauren outlet, oakley sunglasses, burberry, oakley sunglasses, burberry outlet online, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin outlet, nike outlet, tory burch outlet, longchamp, coach outlet, coach outlet, jordan shoes, michael kors outlet, chanel handbags, oakley sunglasses, prada handbags, louboutin, tiffany and co, kate spade handbags

8:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

ralph lauren pas cher, north face, north face, oakley pas cher, nike air max, lacoste pas cher, hogan, nike free, abercrombie and fitch, ray ban pas cher, michael kors, mulberry, lululemon, air jordan pas cher, nike roshe run, true religion outlet, nike roshe, longchamp pas cher, sac guess, nike trainers, nike blazer, hollister, air max, air force, louboutin pas cher, michael kors, longchamp, nike air max, ralph lauren uk, michael kors, sac longchamp, hollister pas cher, vans pas cher, burberry, nike free run uk, ray ban uk, new balance pas cher, nike air max, nike huarache, converse pas cher, tn pas cher, hermes, timberland, vanessa bruno

8:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

nike air max, herve leger, asics running shoes, new balance, instyler, north face outlet, wedding dresses, baseball bats, ralph lauren, lululemon, jimmy choo shoes, beats by dre, nfl jerseys, ghd, north face outlet, babyliss, hollister, insanity workout, hollister, chi flat iron, louboutin, valentino shoes, celine handbags, vans shoes, oakley, ferragamo shoes, soccer shoes, iphone 6 cases, giuseppe zanotti, vans, timberland boots, abercrombie and fitch, mac cosmetics, nike roshe, hollister, nike air max, bottega veneta, converse, reebok shoes, p90x workout, birkin bag, mcm handbags, mont blanc, soccer jerseys

8:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

juicy couture outlet, louis vuitton, pandora charms, ugg boots, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, marc jacobs, sac louis vuitton pas cher, ugg boots, swarovski, juicy couture outlet, supra shoes, karen millen, wedding dresses, toms shoes, louis vuitton, hollister, ray ban, ugg boots, converse outlet, gucci, montre pas cher, pandora jewelry, ugg boots, ugg boots uk, bottes ugg, replica watches, lancel, louis vuitton, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, louis vuitton outlet, ugg pas cher, thomas sabo, coach outlet, louis vuitton outlet, louis vuitton, uggs on sale, swarovski crystal, links of london, pandora charms
ninest123 08.15

8:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

cheap nike shoes
adidas outlet
soccer jerseys wholesale
michael kors handbags
mulberry outlet store
prada outlet
cheap nba jerseys
ralph lauren uk
swarovski crystal
oakley sunglasses wholesale
chanel handbags outlet
ralph lauren outlet
cheap jordan shoes
canada goose coats
toms outlet store
puma outlet
north face outlet store
ugg boots
black friday deals
ugg outlet
1204minko

2:09 AM  
Blogger داليا said...

Lucky me I came across your website by chance
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/water-leaks-detection-isolate-company-qassim.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/water-leaks-detection-isolate-company-qassim.html

5:24 PM  
Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

ugg boots
nike huarache
nike outlet
polo ralph lauren
nike huarache
christian louboutin shoes
ugg outlet
cheap oakley sunglasses
nike trainers
nba jerseys

10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home