Salaam Afghanistan

Health and Ethnic Conflict.

My first visit to the Heart of Asia -- Reflections and Photos.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Mbarara, Uganda

Internist and Pediatrician with a passion for international health.

Monday, August 02, 2004

Into Taleban Territory: Through Ghazni and Into Jaghori

Habib, a gentleman I met through his work at Harvard Law School, sent me to Afghanistan with many contacts who are eager to help. I've already mentioned several in my previous stories. It is through these contacts that I met Heidar. He is Habib's friend's brother-in-law, who is visitng from London for the first time in several years and is eager to travel. Remembering that I had mentioned my great desire to see Bamiyan and Bandyamir, I am invited to travel with Heidar for the next week. I meet Heidar on Friday, and am invited "out" with them that night. Wary of what that might entail and also tired, I thank him and decline, but agree to meet him again for dinner with his uncle the following night, Saturday. Dinner is very late, and Heidar calls for me at around 8:30pm. We drive over to the old Soviet complexes near the road that heads out to the UN compounds. I'm sure I've mentioned them. Giant, concrete buildings imposing on the otherwise more rural, older-world landscape of that part of the city.

I am welcomed in and we sit and have some tea. I tell a few stories about how I like Afghanistan and how I don't like the present U.S. Government. We talk about the differences between Afghanistan and my country. The laugh as I grimace at the name "George Bush." After a time, we retire to the dining room, where I take my place as guest on the floor farthest from the door. Around the dining cloth are myself, Heidar's uncle, his cousin, another gentleman (a friend of the uncle, I believe), and Heidar. Ocassionally, a woman appears to present the food or tea, or to clear plates. She doesn't really look at me. I feel uncomfortable knowing that there are several women in the kitchen waiting their turn to eat in discretion and anonymity while I sit among the men, even invited to drink with them, enjoying the benefits of the sort of "neutered" status I enjoy as an American. I am not fully a man, of course, but neither am I an Afghan woman.

Later, after we've finished our meal (I love Afghan food), we decide to leave the next day for Jaghori, then to Bamiyan, then Badyamir. Heidar will call me at work and we will rent a taxi nearby and head out early in the afternoon so as to be in Jaghori in time for dinner. It's Sunday, the first day of the work week, and as I am still waiting on the translations to be completed, I won't be missing anything. I pack up my things, including a large bottle of water and a couple of packets of Oral Rehydration Therapy and I think of my professor Dr. Cash from the School of Public Health who invented these in his early 20s. A short time later, I get the handwritten note from our security guards telling me that Heidar is here for me and I head out.

We can't find a taxi for that day, so we arrange for one for tomorrow.
Road rage in Kabul, "No, Heidar, don't get out and fight"
Spend the night at Dr. Aloudal's.
Up early the next morning and head out at 5:00am.
8 hours. Through Ghazni.

Heidar's story: tortured at the hands of the Taleban. Scars. Now a black belt in Karate, works with the police in UK.

Driving through Pashtu territory. Eliciting waves from people in villages. Talking about differences between the Hazara and the Pashtu. Convincing Heidar to smile.

Lunch in Ghazni. Heidar puts on my headscarf as we enter the village. Stop at the restaurant, eat in the main dining area (the only woman), lots of stares from local warlords.

Continue the drive. Stopping to pee in the wide open landscape, flat, and nothing but a shrub or two for miles and miles -- Heidar and our driver friend walk off a few paces and kneel. Where am I supposed to go? I hold it until we find a sort of bridge-like area. I insist that they keep watch on the road.

Arrive in Jaghori early afternoon.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

salam . iam too happy to visit your weblog.. i am from jaghori

4:21 AM  
Blogger Dr.Quel said...

salam, habib! chetor asti?

thank you for visiting my site. please check back again soon for photos from your beautiful jaghori. i miss your beautiful country!

tashakur. khuda hofez.
raquel

9:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi miss Requal, how are u, khob asti? im really happy to visit ur weblog. i dont know that u check ur weblog yet. but i visit this now and want to say u hi. and wish all the best in USA. ALEX JAGHORI from Sewdan.

12:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.officialbearsjerseystore.com/]Julius Peppers Elite Jersey[/url]

For low cost advertising, contact organizations holding charity auctions or raffles To locate one when you're abroad, just ask your hotel receptionist or a friendly taxi driverSure, you may be a master of human First Aid Immerse the burned body part in cold running water for as long as possible

[url=http://www.navorrobowmanjersey.com/]49ers NaVorro Bowman Jersey[/url]

This source has all the ultimate truths 1 You can even select multiple pictures and it will put an equal number of copies on the page In 1979 the IBM 3800 was capable of printing out 20,000 lines per minute

[url=http://www.johnelwayjersey.net/]John Elway Orange Jersey[/url]

5:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, just wanted to say, I loved this blog post. It was helpful.
Keep on posting!

Also visit my web blog :: Zahngold Rechner

11:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

ninest123 08.15
kate spade outlet, ray ban sunglasses, true religion jeans, polo ralph lauren outlet, nike air max, nike air max, michael kors, nike free, coach factory outlet, michael kors outlet, gucci outlet, michael kors outlet, tiffany jewelry, michael kors outlet, longchamp outlet, replica watches, michael kors outlet, louboutin shoes, christian louboutin outlet, longchamp outlet, true religion jeans, coach purses, prada outlet, true religion jeans, polo ralph lauren outlet, oakley sunglasses, burberry, oakley sunglasses, burberry outlet online, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin outlet, nike outlet, tory burch outlet, longchamp, coach outlet, coach outlet, jordan shoes, michael kors outlet, chanel handbags, oakley sunglasses, prada handbags, louboutin, tiffany and co, kate spade handbags

8:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

ralph lauren pas cher, north face, north face, oakley pas cher, nike air max, lacoste pas cher, hogan, nike free, abercrombie and fitch, ray ban pas cher, michael kors, mulberry, lululemon, air jordan pas cher, nike roshe run, true religion outlet, nike roshe, longchamp pas cher, sac guess, nike trainers, nike blazer, hollister, air max, air force, louboutin pas cher, michael kors, longchamp, nike air max, ralph lauren uk, michael kors, sac longchamp, hollister pas cher, vans pas cher, burberry, nike free run uk, ray ban uk, new balance pas cher, nike air max, nike huarache, converse pas cher, tn pas cher, hermes, timberland, vanessa bruno

8:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

nike air max, herve leger, asics running shoes, new balance, instyler, north face outlet, wedding dresses, baseball bats, ralph lauren, lululemon, jimmy choo shoes, beats by dre, nfl jerseys, ghd, north face outlet, babyliss, hollister, insanity workout, hollister, chi flat iron, louboutin, valentino shoes, celine handbags, vans shoes, oakley, ferragamo shoes, soccer shoes, iphone 6 cases, giuseppe zanotti, vans, timberland boots, abercrombie and fitch, mac cosmetics, nike roshe, hollister, nike air max, bottega veneta, converse, reebok shoes, p90x workout, birkin bag, mcm handbags, mont blanc, soccer jerseys

8:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

juicy couture outlet, louis vuitton, pandora charms, ugg boots, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, marc jacobs, sac louis vuitton pas cher, ugg boots, swarovski, juicy couture outlet, supra shoes, karen millen, wedding dresses, toms shoes, louis vuitton, hollister, ray ban, ugg boots, converse outlet, gucci, montre pas cher, pandora jewelry, ugg boots, ugg boots uk, bottes ugg, replica watches, lancel, louis vuitton, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, louis vuitton outlet, ugg pas cher, thomas sabo, coach outlet, louis vuitton outlet, louis vuitton, uggs on sale, swarovski crystal, links of london, pandora charms
ninest123 08.15

8:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

cheap nike shoes
adidas outlet
soccer jerseys wholesale
michael kors handbags
mulberry outlet store
prada outlet
cheap nba jerseys
ralph lauren uk
swarovski crystal
oakley sunglasses wholesale
chanel handbags outlet
ralph lauren outlet
cheap jordan shoes
canada goose coats
toms outlet store
puma outlet
north face outlet store
ugg boots
black friday deals
ugg outlet
1204minko

2:12 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

2015 Michael Kors
Michael Kors Sale
Michael Kors Necklace
Michael Kors Online Sale
Michael Kors Totes
Michael Kors shoulder-bags
michael kors
michael kors outlet
michael kors outlet stores
2015 michael kors outlet
michael kors outlet online
michael kors outlet online sale
Michael Kors Wallet
michael kors sale
michael kors handbags
michael kors handbags
michael kors tote
michael kors bags
macys michael kors
michael kors uk
michael kors factory
michael kors factory
Michael Kors Flagship Store
michael kors outlet online store 49.00 outlet

11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home