Salaam Afghanistan

Health and Ethnic Conflict.

My first visit to the Heart of Asia -- Reflections and Photos.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Mbarara, Uganda

Internist and Pediatrician with a passion for international health.

Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Khuda Hofez Afghanistan


Wow. I can't believe I am really leaving this place. I actually managed to feel pretty at home here, comfortable, get into a routine, make a little life. I am used to being here. I am used to the sights, used to the heat, used to the dress codes, used to the poverty of the country (still not used to the poverty of the people). I think it is going to be really weird to be back home, where most everyone is wealthy, the land of the cellophane-wrapped meat and 1 million different varieties of every single commodity, of central air-conditioning, of credit cards and ATMs, of solid stools. All of a sudden I will be searching for an apartment that will cost me three times as much per month as most Afghans make in a year. I'll be out alone in public in shorts and a tank top and no one will think it is inappropriate, no one will even notice. And I'll get to use soft toilet tissue! I'll eat unpeeled and comparatively tasteless fruits, and I will wet my toothbrush under the water from the faucet, clean and safe and flourinated for my benefit. The children will have toys, and will be back in school. Traffic will follow traffic laws, and no more announcements about road closures because of possible IEDs!

I am finishing up here at work. I just sent out my exit memo, and cleaned out my desk. I didn't finish my project because the translations are so slow-going, but I hope to receive them in time to finish my analysis before I start school again in two weeks. I can't believe how busy things will get all of a sudden!

I am going carpet shopping today, and hopefully will be able to send them via the APO here. Tomorrow I finish packing and enjoy one more meal at home with Fred and Mar and Winston. I have to make my arrangements for a hotel in Istanbul, where I will be for two days on my way back home. I get back to Boston on Sunday evening and will be home in Texas for 10 days. I'll have to be working -- neuroanatomy, finishing my study. And I get back to Boston just in time to start school again -- two days before! I don't have an apartment. All of my stuff is in my friend Peter's living room. I absolutely hate looking for an apartment and moving! I hate that I will be doing that while I am starting school! ugh.

I digress, don't I? I just wanted to send a quick update as I prepare to leave. I have so many stories that I will work on posting as soon as I am back on a computer. I'll put them in their appropriate place, appropriately dated as soon as possible, complete with photos.

I haven't internalized that I am leaving here and that I don't know when I will be back. For some reason, it feels like I'll be back soon. ..

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

ralph lauren pas cher, north face, north face, oakley pas cher, nike air max, lacoste pas cher, hogan, nike free, abercrombie and fitch, ray ban pas cher, michael kors, mulberry, lululemon, air jordan pas cher, nike roshe run, true religion outlet, nike roshe, longchamp pas cher, sac guess, nike trainers, nike blazer, hollister, air max, air force, louboutin pas cher, michael kors, longchamp, nike air max, ralph lauren uk, michael kors, sac longchamp, hollister pas cher, vans pas cher, burberry, nike free run uk, ray ban uk, new balance pas cher, nike air max, nike huarache, converse pas cher, tn pas cher, hermes, timberland, vanessa bruno

8:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

nike air max, herve leger, asics running shoes, new balance, instyler, north face outlet, wedding dresses, baseball bats, ralph lauren, lululemon, jimmy choo shoes, beats by dre, nfl jerseys, ghd, north face outlet, babyliss, hollister, insanity workout, hollister, chi flat iron, louboutin, valentino shoes, celine handbags, vans shoes, oakley, ferragamo shoes, soccer shoes, iphone 6 cases, giuseppe zanotti, vans, timberland boots, abercrombie and fitch, mac cosmetics, nike roshe, hollister, nike air max, bottega veneta, converse, reebok shoes, p90x workout, birkin bag, mcm handbags, mont blanc, soccer jerseys

8:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

juicy couture outlet, louis vuitton, pandora charms, ugg boots, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, marc jacobs, sac louis vuitton pas cher, ugg boots, swarovski, juicy couture outlet, supra shoes, karen millen, wedding dresses, toms shoes, louis vuitton, hollister, ray ban, ugg boots, converse outlet, gucci, montre pas cher, pandora jewelry, ugg boots, ugg boots uk, bottes ugg, replica watches, lancel, louis vuitton, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, louis vuitton outlet, ugg pas cher, thomas sabo, coach outlet, louis vuitton outlet, louis vuitton, uggs on sale, swarovski crystal, links of london, pandora charms
ninest123 08.15

8:34 PM  
Blogger 5689 said...

zzzzz2018.8.21
nike outlet
cheap nfl jerseys
kate spade outlet
tory burch handbags
true religion outlet store
uggs outlet
canada goose outlet
ralph lauren outlet
nike chaussure femme
asics shoes

8:56 PM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

coach factory outlet
michael kors outlet
coach outlet
jordan shoes
supreme hoodie
longchamp handbags
nike air max 270
cheap nfl jerseys
nike air huarache
moncler jacket

1:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home